In employment law, discrimination refers to the unfair treatment of individuals or groups of people based on certain protected characteristics. Discrimination may happen during the employment process, such as:
There are various types of discrimination legally handled by discrimination lawyers nyc recognized in employment law, and these are protected under anti-discrimination laws. The specific protected characteristics may vary depending on the country and its laws, but some common ones include:
- Race or ethnicity
- Sexual orientation
- National origin
- Marital status
- Genetic information
Employment discrimination can take various forms, such as refusal to hire, unequal pay, unfair disciplinary actions, denial of promotions, and harassment based on protected characteristics.
How does discrimination lawyer help an employee?
A discrimination lawyer can play a crucial role in helping a worker who has experienced discrimination in the workplace. Here are some of the ways in which a discrimination lawyer can assist an employee:
- Legal advice and assessment. The lawyer will listen to the worker’s account of the discriminatory actions and assess the situation to determine if there are valid grounds for a discrimination claim.
- Filing a complaint. If the discrimination has occurred within the framework of employment laws, the lawyer can help the worker file a formal complaint with the appropriate government agency.
- Mediation and settlement. A discrimination lawyer may attempt to resolve the issue through mediation or negotiation with the employer.
- Preparing and filing a lawsuit. If mediation or settlement attempts are unsuccessful or when the discrimination complaint process doesn’t yield a satisfactory outcome, the lawyer can prepare and file a lawsuit against the employer on behalf of the worker.
- Legal representation. The discrimination lawyer will serve as the worker’s legal representative.
- Navigating legal procedures. Employment discrimination cases can involve complex legal procedures and deadlines. A skilled discrimination lawyer can guide the worker through these processes.
- Protection against retaliation. Workers who file discrimination complaints or lawsuits may face retaliation from their employers. A discrimination lawyer can help protect the worker against retaliation and take legal action if it occurs.
- Maximizing compensation: If the worker’s case is successful, the discrimination lawyer will work to maximize the compensation the worker is entitled to receive.
- Expertise in employment law: A discrimination lawyer specializes in employment law and has expertise in handling discrimination cases.
A discrimination lawyer can be an invaluable ally for a worker who has experienced discrimination in the workplace. They provide legal expertise, support, and representation to help the worker seek justice and hold the employer accountable for their discriminatory actions.